Chemical Heritage

Historical materials in relation
to celluloid recognized as “Chemical Heritage”!
In March 2011, “buildings and materials that indicate the beginning of the Japanese celluloid industry” owned by Daicel were recognized as “Chemical Heritage” by the Chemical Society of Japan as valuable historical materials on chemistry and chemical technologies (certified Chemical Heritage #009). Here are some photos of this Chemical Heritage.
Chemical Heritage
No. 1 Boiler at the Aboshi Plant
Chemical Heritage
Chemical Heritage
Photo from the time of establishment
In 1908, Japan Celluloid Artificial Co., Ltd. was established, and in the following year, this coal boiler was built at the plant in Aboshi. It is a beautiful brick-made building and is currently used as a special high voltage receiving facility of the Aboshi Plant.
Red brick building at the former site of the Sakai Plant
Red brick building at the former site of the Sakai Plant
Red brick building at the former site of the Sakai Plant
Photo from the time of establishment
This facility was completed in 1910 as the head office factory of Sakai Celluloid Co., Ltd. (established in 1908). It is now preserved as a monument at the former site of the Sakai Plant and is also registered as part of the “Osaka Museum.”
Processing tools and celluloid products
  • Processing tools and celluloid products
  • Processing tools and celluloid products
  • Processing tools and celluloid products

These celluloid products and processing tools are displayed at the Celluloid Museum. In particular, the black Kewpie is rare, with only a few copies in Japan.

Memorial Book
  • Memorial Book
  • Memorial Book
  • Memorial Book
  • Memorial Book
  • Memorial Book
  • Memorial Book
This is a collection of photographs taken between the establishments of Sakai Celluloid Co., Ltd. in 1908 to Dainippon Celluloid Co., Ltd. in 1919. You can see images of the celluloid manufacturing process from that time.
Ijinkan (Residences for foreign people)
Ijinkan (Residences for foreign people)
Ijinkan (Residences for foreign people)
These residences were built in 1910 as housing for foreign engineers invited to the plant of Japan Celluloid Artificial Co., Ltd. At present, the green Western-style residence is open to the general public as the Celluloid Museum, while the red-roofed building is used as part of the “Kinugake Club” of the Aboshi Plant. It is also designated as a “Modern Industrial Heritage That Contributes to Invigoration of the Community” by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, “100 Best Residences in Hyogo” by Hyogo Prefecture and “Important Cityscape Building” by Himeji City.
Celluloid Manufacturing Test Equipment
Celluloid Manufacturing Test Equipment
This is used for pressurization tests, to create a unique pattern to celluloid. As a monument to show the “starting point of manufacturing,” it is displayed at the side of the entrance of the Integrated Production Center of the Aboshi Plant.
“Koka no Myo Mukyu” written by Mr. Renpei Kondo
“Koka no Myo Mukyu” written by Mr. Renpei Kondo
This is calligraphy of Mr. Renpei Kondo, the first president of Japan Celluloid Artificial Co., Ltd. in 1909. As it was written in the initial period of the company with hardships, we can feel his dream and passion for the chemical industry in the early days. This is currently displayed on the second floor of Kinugake Club.