- Sakai Celluloid Co., Ltd. and Japan Celluloid Artificial Co., Ltd. are established.
Sakai celluloid panorama
- Sep. 1919
- Dainippon Celluloid Company Limited, with plants in Sakai, Kanzaki, Aboshi, and Tokyo, is created through the merger of eight celluloid producers.
- Jul. 1927
- Mikuni Celluloid Co., Ltd. (in 1973, renamed into Mikuni Plastics Co., Ltd. ) is established and begins celluloid processing operations.
- May. 1928
- A photographic film testing plant (film lab) is established within the Tokyo Plant.
- Sep. 1929
- Cellulose acetate plastic is developed.
- Jan. 1934
- The Company's photographic film operations are spun off to form Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd. (currently FUJIFILM Corporation).
- Sep. 1935
- The new Arai Plant is established in Niigata Prefecture and begins producing acetylene-base organic chemicals.
- Jun. 1938
- The Sakai Plant begins manufacturing acetate filament.
The Sakai Plant
in the early years
- Jul. 1953
- The Aboshi Plant begins to manufacture tri-acetyl cellulose (TAC) for photographic film and begins supplying Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd.
The Aboshi Plant begins production of gunpowder.
- Jun. 1954
- The Kawachi Plant (presently the Harima Plant) established and begins the manufacture of smokeless gunpowder.
- Sep. 1956
- Dainippon Plastics Co.,Ltd. established and begins plastics processing operations.
- Aug. 1958
- The Sakai Plant begins full-scale manufacturing acetate tow for cigarette filters.
- Mar. 1959
- Nagoya Office (presently Nagoya Sales Office) established.
Cigarette filter tow
- Jan. 1961
- Dainippon Kasei Co.,Ltd. established and begins petrochemical operations.
- Feb. 1961
- The Sakai Plant is established as a SAN resin manufacturing facility and begins production.
- May 1964
- Polyplastics Co.,Ltd. established and begins producing polyacetal resin.
- Feb. 1966
- The Company is renamed Daicel Co., Ltd.
- Jun. 1968
- Dainippon Kasei Co., Ltd. is acquired, and its Ohtake Plant becomes Daicel's Ohtake Plant.
- Aug. 1968
- The Sakai Plant begins manufacturing ABS resin.
- Mar. 1969
- The Tokyo Plant is closed and celluloid production is concentrated in the Aboshi Plant.
Signing ceremony for the establishment of Polyplastics Co., Ltd.
CMC manufacturing facility in the Aboshi Plant
- Jul. 1970
- Daicel-Huls Ltd. (currently Daicel-Evonik Ltd.) is established as a joint venture and begins marketing Polyamide-12 resin.
- Jul. 1977
- Kyodo Sakusan Co., Ltd. is established as a joint venture.
- Oct. 1979
- The Company is renamed Daicel Chemical Industries, Ltd.
- Apr. 1980
- Begins production of acetic acid using the methanol carbonylation process.
- Nov. 1980
- The Central Research Center is established in Hyogo Prefecture.
- Apr. 1982
- Begins optical resolution operations.
- Dec. 1982
- Kyoudou Polymer Co., Ltd. is established as a joint venture to undertake ABS resin production and sales.
- Apr. 1984
- Daicel (U.S.A.), Inc. is established in the USA.
- Nov. 1984
- Daicel (Europa) GmbH is established in Germany.
- May. 1988
- Daicel-UCB Company, Ltd. (currently Daicel-Allnex Ltd.) is established as a joint venture for the production and sales of ultraviolet and electron-beam curable resins.
- Oct. 1988
- Daicel Safety Systems Inc. is established as an automobile airbag inflator production subsidiary.
- May. 1989
- Daicel Chemical (Asia) Pte.Ltd. is established in Singapore.
Acetic acid production facility utilizing the methanol carbonylation process
Central Research Center
- Jul. 1990
- Begins polystyrene production.
- Nov. 1990
- A facility for manufacturing acetate tow for cigarette filters is established in the Aboshi Plant, thus creating the twin hub system at Sakai and Aboshi.
The Aboshi Plant begins manufacturing Tri-Acetyl Cellulose (TAC) for LCD optical films.
Chiral Technologies, Inc. is established in the U.S.A. as a hub of optical resolution operations.
- Oct. 1991
- Dainichi Chemical Corp. is established for the production and sales of oligomers and other products.
- Jul. 1992
- Xi' an Huida Chemical Industries Co., Ltd. is established as a joint venture in China to manufacture and sell acetate tow for cigarette filters.
- Nov. 1992
- Daicel (Hong Kong) Ltd. is established in Hong Kong.
- Jun. 1993
- The Hirohata Plant is established in the Himeji Production Sector in Hyogo prefecture.
- May. 1994
- Daicen Membrane-Systems Ltd. is established as a joint venture to manufacture and sell membrane modules for water treatment.
- Nov. 1994
- Shanghai Daicel Polymers, Ltd. a resin compound manufacturing company, is established in Shanghai, China.
- Apr. 1995
- Commitment to establishment of Japan Responsible Care Council.
- Oct. 1995
- Chiral Technologies-Europe SARL (currently Chiral Technologies Europe S.A.S.) is established in France as a European hub for the optical resolution business.
- Oct. 1997
- Begins practical study of NI catalyst air-oxidation technology.
- Apr. 1998
- The H.R. Training Center is established in Ako-gun, Hyogo prefecture.
- Apr. 1999
- Toyo Styrene Co., Ltd. is established as a joint venture.
- Jun. 1999
- Reforms governance by the introduction of corporate officer system and outside director.
Dainichi Chemical Corp.
- Mar. 2000
- The Integrated Production Center (IPC) is established in the Aboshi Plant of the Himeji Production Sector and begins integrated operation.
- Dec. 2000
- Daicel Safety Systems America, LLC, a joint venture, is established as the U.S. hub for automobile airbag inflators.
- Jan. 2001
- Resin compound operations are spun off and Daicel Polymer Ltd. is established and begins operations.
The plastic sheet forming business is spun off and Daicel Pack Systems, Ltd. is established and begins operations.
- Oct. 2001
- Daicel Kaseihin Co., Ltd. and Daicel Craft Ltd. are merged to establish Daicel FineChem Ltd. to strengthen the trading functions of the Daicel Group and begins operations.
Nagano Novafoam Ltd. and West Japan Novafoam Ltd. merge to form Daicel Novafoam Ltd. a subsidiary involved in plastic foaming products.
- Sep. 2002
- Daicel acquires a company involved in the manufacture and sales of sorbic acid and other products to establish and begin operations at Daicel Nanning Food Ingredients Co., Ltd. in China.
Daicel Safety Systems (Thailand) Co., Ltd. is established in Thailand as a production and sales hub for automobile airbag inflators.
- Mar. 2004
- Daicel Safety Systems Europe Sp.z o.o. is established in Poland as the European hub of automobile airbag inflator production.
- Apr. 2004
- The package filming business is spun off and Daicel Value Coating Ltd. is established and begins operations.
- Jul. 2004
- Daicel Chemical (China) Investment Co.,Ltd. is established in Shanghai, China.
- Dec. 2004
- Daicel Safety Systems (Jiangsu) Co., Ltd. is established in China as a production and sales hub for automobile airbag inflators.
- Mar. 2005
- Ningbo Da-An Chemical Industries Co., Ltd. is established as a joint venture in China to manufacture and sell cellulose acetate and acetic anhydrate.
- Jan. 2006
- Topas Advanced Polymers GmbH is established in Germany, acquires Ticona's cyclic olefin copolymer business, and begins production.
- Aug. 2007
- Daicel Chiral Technologies (China) Co., Ltd. is established in Shanghai, China.
- Oct. 2007
- The Ohtake Plant is established as an acetate tow manufacturing facility.
- Dec. 2007
- Daicel(Hong Kong)Ltd. is closed and its businesses is transferred to Daicel Chemical (China) Investment Co.,Ltd. .
- Mar. 2008
- In Japan, part of the premises of the Sakai Plant was expropriated for construction of the Yamatogawa Line of the Hanshin Expressway. The Sakai Plant is closed.
Dainippon Plastics Co., Ltd. is transferred to Takiron Co., Ltd. .
- Apr. 2008
- Daicel Chiral Technologies (India) Pvt. Ltd. is established in Hyderabad, India.
- May. 2008
- The Ohtake Plant is established as a tri-acetyl cellulose (TAC) manufacturing facility.
- Oct. 2008
- Mikuni Plastics Co., Ltd. transfers its entire business to Aron Kasei Co., Ltd. .
- Mar. 2009
- Construction of the ethyl acetate manufacturing facility using esterification process is completed.
Integrated Production Center (IPC)
Daicel Nanning Food Ingredients Co., Ltd.
Daicel Safety Systems
Daicel Chiral Technologies
(India) Pvt. Ltd.
(The Ohtake Plant)
- Oct. 2011
- The Company is renamed Daicel Corporation.
- Dec. 2011
- Daicel Safety Systems Korea, Inc. is established in Korea.
- Apr. 2012
- Daicel Novafoam, Ltd., and Tohoku Polymer Ltd. as a Mitsui Chemical's subsidiary are merged to establish DM Novafoam, Ltd..
Daicel Polymer (Thailand) Co., Ltd. is established in Thailand.
Special Devices Inc. as a manufacturer of initiators is purchased and transformed into our subsidiaries.
- May. 2013
- Daicel established a joint venture by acquiring 35% of the outstanding shares of Toyama Filter Tow Co., Ltd., an acetate tow manufacturing subsidiary of Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd.
- Mar. 2015
- Acquired Unitika’s “Health & Amenity” business.
- Apr. 2015
- Daicel Safety Systems America Arizona, Inc. is established as the 2nd Manufacturing Plant of the inflator in the Americas.
- May. 2016
- Daicel (U.S.A.), Inc. is renamed Daicel America Holdings, Inc. to expand its functions.
Daicel Safety Systems America Holdings, Inc. established in Arizona, U.S. as a controlling company for inflator business in North America.
Daicel ChemTech, Inc. is established in New Jersey, U.S. as a marketing company for organic chemicals in Americas.
- Apr. 2017
- Relocated "Central Research Center" and "Himeji Technology Head Office" and consolidated them into a new site, "Innovation Park".
- Aug. 2018
- Lomapharm group companies (LOMA Holding GmbH, Lomapharm Rudolf Lohmann GmbH KG, Lomapharm Verwaltungs GmbH), a German pharma contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) is purchased and transformed into our subsidiaries.
- Sept. 2018
- Daicel Micro Optics Co. Ltd. is established in Taiwan as a design/development and sales base for optical parts utilizing own developed wafer level lenses.
- Oct. 2018
- Daicel Safety Systems India Pvt. Ltd. is established in India as a sales hub for automobile airbag inflators.
- Jan. 2019
- Chiral Technologies, a subsidiary of DAICEL CORPORATION, acquired Arbor Biosciences, a US genomics company.
Daicel Safety Systems America Arizona, Inc.